Saturday, August 22, 2009

2 hours of sleep in 24 hours

Bless you Continental. I know that we were flying for free on airline miles. And, I know that I have no status with you. But really, did you have to punish the entire rest of the plane because I have bad flight karma?

We arrived at the airport with over 2 hours to spare. At the kiosk to check in, the kiosk gave us the choice to (1) miss our connecting flight in Houston because Seattle was now 3 hours late or (2) choose a new flight that would actually arrive EARLIER than our original flight.

I chose the new flight. I'm no dummy. I had no desire to be stuck in Houston an extra day.

Unfortunately, the kiosk neglected to mention that the 1 p.m. was actually on Sunday (an entire day later than our original arrival date) and we would have 3 transfers (including the dreaded Newark).

My smart husband got our original (late) flight back and we proceeded to wait 4 hours for our
now-late flight. He slept. I watched our bags and listened to the growing hysteria as the flight continued to be pushed back. Judging from the stories I heard waiting to board, at least half of our flight missed their connections because the Seattle-Houston leg was so late.

We finally took off around 2:30 a.m. I slept for two hours. Chris got a few hours more. We made our flight with about 10 minutes to spare to get to Aruba.

First thing we did? Go read by the pool on the beach!

View from our hotel room

And now, we're here. We've refused to sleep or do anything remotely to admit that would we're both exhausted. Instead, we've read by the pool, walked the beach multiple ways and marveled at how built up this little island is. It's sort of sad how many high rise hotels are here compared to the actual size of the island.

We're going to go explore the island tomorrow, on foot and via the bus.

The weather thus far is incredible - 93 with a fast breeze so you don't feel it at all.

XXOO to you all.

No comments: