Friday, November 20, 2015

Meditating Deer & Counting Peas in the Nose

See this happy, perfectly little munchin? Cutest. Baby. Ever. Of. All. Time.  Except she has a few extra things goin' on - namely, peas up her nose. That's right; manny Jason called me at work and was like "When I was changing Lily's diaper, I noticed something up her nose. And when I asked her what it was, she said 'peas!' as in, plural and they're up there really high." So, I got to take a trip to the Doctor's office. Chris was on a business trip - Saudi? Seattle? North Carolina? Ohio? They blur together lately.

Any bets on how they get peas out of a 2 year old's nose? I'll let you think of it. Nope. Not tweezers. She wouldn't stay still. And good thought, but no, she wouldn't blow them out either. Any other ideas? Nope, no suction things there. Give up? Let me write you a visual picture, shall I?

I cupped one hand over her mouth. I plugged one nostril (the pea-carrying nostril). And then I carefully fit my lips over her other nostril and ... blew. That's right. I blew and blew and blew and still, that dang pea did not come out. Then, Lily gasped and sucked the pea(s) deeper into her nasal cavity. Argh!

Another pediatrician came in with a syringe and a bulbus tube that we shoved up her nose - more airtight seal - and then we pushed some more air up there until, pop! the pea popped out and, it was only one up there. Whether there really were 5 or if it was just the one, we'll never know. Either way, I totally had my mouth all over her snotty nose and am planning on holding it over her head for the rest of her life. I've got the whole "Dude, I carried you for 9 months; I had to do shots EVERY DAY of that pregnancy and get cut open to get you out," and now I can add, "And I french kissed your nose to get a snot-covered pea out of your nasal cavity." If that's not love ...
Jamisen was very worried about his sister the entire time she was in there. He really wanted to come in the room with us but nanny Jason was firm that he would be a distraction so he waited out in the waiting room to see his little sister and confirm for herself that she was okay. He so so so loves her.

He is still such a huge helper in the kitchen. He is intensely curious about how everything works. Just this morning he said to me, "Mama, I went outside and licked the frost on the grass to see what it would taste like." And I was like, "Oh, okay. How did it taste?" And he said, "Like little miniature pieces of grass ice."  And that was after a very long discussion about the moon, weather patterns and why frost forms. He had most of the details pretty correct and said that he had learned them in school.
We had a great time at Bellwood Acres the other day with brother Weston and Aunty Anna. Jamisen totally waited a full 30 minutes for fresh donuts - like, not a whimper, not a whine, nada. Just sat there waiting with me for his prize. That delayed gratification is going to serve him so well in life. 

Another sweet story; Jamisen saw a deer sleeping in our yard the other day. He gazed at it thoughtfully and then said to me, "Mama, I bet that deer is meditating. He is finding his calm."

1 comment:

Weston Renoud said...

I love the "little miniature pieces of grass ice."