Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Reflux, Gas and Happy Boy

May 2011
That's right, Jamisen is 1 month, 1 week old! Can you believe how fast time has gone by already? It's funny - the nights are long, long, long and the days are mostly short - unless he's crying and then they're long. I'm sure all the other parents out there reading this understand that. =)
I'm 6 days old!
Thank you to everyone that weighed in on Jaminsen's immature digestive system. Something we did is working - but I'm not sure which thing because I threw the kitchen sink at it. I'm off dairy, all gassy veggies, all beans and soy (on the plus side, no dairy means that I'm losing weight like  nobody's business). Jamisen is on anti-gas drops at every feeding. I'm feeding him upright. We've switched Probiotics and lowered the dose.  I'm strictly following Le Leche League 'best practices' for breastfeeding. I'm drinking enough Chamomile Tea to turn me yellow. Jamisen is going to baby chiropractic and baby craniosacral therapy. And something in that whole mix worked because he is no longer a gassy baby.
I'm 6 days old!
What is new and different is that now that the gas is gone, the reflux has appeared. It was always there (looking back at my notes) but was masked by the obvious clenching of little legs and fists when he was feeling bloated and unable to figure out how to fix it. Though he is gaining weight like a champ (15 ounces in a little over a week!), he is spitting up a minimum of 3 times per feeding and cries when he does, has the classic wet burps and bad vomit breath and gets  hiccups a lot every day. Our Pediatrician had us elevate his bed, keep him upright for 30 minutes after every feeding (did I mention the long nights?!), stay off the dairy and soy, try soy formula at one feeding per day and burp him many times in a feeding but Lil Man still wasn't getting relief so we are trying Baby Zantac for him this week. I have promised my (Doctor) Father (Jamisen's very proud Grandpa) that I will not leave Jamisen on Baby Zantac indefinitely but for now, I'll do anything to let this little guy get some rest and relief. And, as usual, it takes a village so if you have any suggestions, chime in! I want to hear them.
I'm 6 days old!
Look at that head control; this above pictures was when Jamisen was only 7 days old! Isn't it fun to see how much he's grown? And, now, a look back at the month .... he is my little cuddlebug and total love. His daddy is just as crazy about him as I am =)

b35a4
I love being a Mom so much. I'm already lobbying Chris for a second one - I know Jamisen will appreciate having a little baby brother or sister. PS - Can't get enough of Jamisen? He has his own Twitter account where there are lots of updates and photos daily. Follow @bramblebump here.

No comments: