Sunday, October 14, 2012

Katie's Cupcakes

Bellingham is a unique place where small business is celebrated and the concept of buying local and buying from your neighbors is espoused. When Katie's Cupcakes went on the famed show, Cupcake Wars, all of Bellingham collectively held their breath. It was thrilling to have our little town on the map for our delicious eats. Katie's Cupcakes did a celebration party for their episode and served all four of the cupcakes from the show. photo 
 My awesome assistant, Kristen, and I went with friends. She and I are united in our love of all things cupcakes (despite being perpetually on a healthy food eating plan) and when we found out we could buy tickets to this special event, we were all in.
 photo 
The evening did not disappoint. I never thought (in a million years) that I could be cupcake'd out but after 4 **full-sized** cupcakes (full-sized, people, full-sized!), I felt physically ill. It was not the fault of the cupcakes. They were AMAZING (psst: if you're in Bellingham, or want to make the drive, they're serving 4 packs of the winning cupcakes for 1 more week. You can pre-order them here but you have to order by Thursday). photo 
The best part about the night was the Q&A session. Of course, I wanted to know all about the behind-the-scenes. I've done enough TV to know that there are lots of interesting little background stories to get the show looking as good as possible and Katie and her assistant did not disappoint in sharing some of the fascinating and surprising behind-the-scenes. I raised my hands what felt like a gazillion times and asked lots of questions (everything from, 'who pays for the flights?' to 'do they provide all the ingredients?' to 'do they coach you to answer questions a certain way?'). We're sworn to secrecy for the answers but I'll just say that both Kristen and I were wowed by Katie's answers and her humble, hard-working nature. It came through clearly and we are so proud that she's a Bellinghamster!

No comments: